THE RIGHT MESSAGE AT THE RIGHT TIME TO THE RIGHT PERSON
What is marketing automation?
Literally, this means automating marketing processes. In practice, marketing automation software is used to automate the lead process and send the right message to the right person at the right time. The main goal of this is to convert unknown visitors (prospects) by means of lead nurturing & lead scoring into high-quality leads for sales.
How does marketing automation work?
Marketing automation software automates the lead generation process. The software makes it possible to approach a prospect in the right way at every stage of the customer journey, such as through the use of e-mail marketing, social media, your website or webinars. Marketing automation ensures that you can send highly personalised messages with super relevant content. Or as we say: Thanks to marketing automation, you’ll send the right message to the right person at the right time.
5 main reasons to use marketing automation
- One central marketing database from which you develop marketing activities.
- Converting unknown visitors into good leads for sales, e.g. with lead scoring.
- Personalise communication based on profile characteristics and/or the behaviour of your leads..
- Guide contacts throughout their customer journey, thanks to the integration with your CRM package.
- Gain insight into the ROI of (online) marketing.
Marco van Wijngaarden
Have any questions? Contact me!
What tools are there?
What is the best marketing automation software?
As an Act-On Certified Partner, Marketo Partner, Hubspot Partner, Zoho Partner, ActiveCampaign Partner and Net-Results partner, Marketing Guys has become one of the largest marketing automation experts in the Netherlands. And we know (almost) everything about it.
Are you completely new to marketing automation? Then you probably can’t see the forest for the trees. There are so many packages and many more opinions. We get the question every day: What is the best marketing automation package for me? The choice for the best tool really depends on your situation, goals and budget.
Of course, we have an answer to that question. We ourselves have made the choice to only work with the so-called leaders, on the one hand because you choose a long-term package and you are looking for a stable company that delivers the solution, and on the other hand because you want to work with the best functionalities and stable software. Of course, price also plays a role. However, in our eyes the old motto applies: “If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!”
How does marketing automation work?
Marketing automation software automates the lead generation process. The software makes it possible to approach a prospect in the right way at every stage of the customer journey, such as through the use of e-mail marketing, social media, your website or webinars. Marketing automation ensures that you can send highly personalised messages with super relevant content. Or as we say: Thanks to marketing automation you send the right message to the right person at the right time.
The possibilities of marketing automation
With marketing automation, you can achieve a lot and you will discover that most tools have a lot of functionality. Most marketing automation tools offer at least the components listed below.
- E-mail marketing: this is often the basis of the package and one of the first steps you take. This will replace sending emails with email marketing packages such as Mailchimp, Spotler or Copernica. And you will be working from one central platform. The editors work very intuitively and on a drag-and-drop basis. In addition, visitors who click on the emails you send will immediately become visible as ‘known visitors’ on the website. Even if they come back later.
- Landing pages editor: in B2B marketing you often work with landing pages for certain campaigns. It is then very handy to be able to create landing pages in a very simple way. You do not need any IT knowledge for this and you can quickly put together an effective page by means of drag-and-drop. Of course, it is important that there is an A/B test option (just like with the e-mail marketing module).
- Lead management: an important functionality within marketing automation software is the lead generation. In order to organise this process as optimally as possible for your organisation, you use lead nurturing, lead scoring and lead forms – links to progressive profiling.
- One central marketing database: with the software, you build a customer view around all the online touch points you have with a prospect or customer. It is therefore essential that you record this in one place in a database. The packages have this at their disposal, so there’s no more separate databases from your mail program, Excel lists and random data!
- Building profiles: via the software, you can see which companies have been on your site based on IP address. But much more importantly, you build profiles of visitors (up to their names and email addresses) to your website so you will recognise familiar visitors on the site.
- Personalisation of content: you display relevant content depending on the behaviour and characteristics of a visitor to your site. In this way, you can also ensure that e-mails are more relevant by tailoring the subjects and content to the recipient. Open and click rates will improve as a result!
- Seamless CRM integration: your CRM is often leading in customer contact, even if you work with marketing automation. It is therefore important that the software ‘talks’ to your CRM (such as Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce.com or SugarCRM). If the link is not standard in the package, it is generally quite easy to make or sometimes its available via Zapier.com. With a CRM integration, you ensure that the leads are passed on to sales at the right time.
- Analysis and reporting tools: measuring is knowledge, especially with marketing automation. So take a good look at the tools that are available for this within the software. These include an outline of ROI, CTRs, known vs. unknown visitors, conversions and leads.
How is marketing automation implemented?
The on-boarding of marketing automation is not technically very complicated. But after more than 100 implementations, we also know that it is easier said than done, and it is precisely our years of experience that can make the difference. Setting up the tool is relatively simple and if you want, you can be up and running within a month. But if you really want to make good use of all the possibilities of a platform, there is a lot more involved. It is best to look at this from two different points of view.
- Maturity in marketing automation
- Processes associated with onboarding
- Maturity in marketing automation / technology
The marketing automation road to success indicates which processes you apply when using the full functionality of your marketing automation software. This is what you want to work towards. During the implementation it will be phase 1 and phase 2, depending on your goals. After the implementation, our support & success trajectory starts, where we help you step by step to get the most out of the tool and mature with marketing automation.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN THE ONBOARDING OF MARKETING AUTOMATION?
By onboarding we mean getting the system up and running. During onboarding you are mainly occupied with the matters from phase 1 & 2, depending on your situation. At the start of the implementation, it is first of all important to establish a good data structure and segmentation. By thinking about this beforehand, you avoid missing essential components for your process later on. As soon as the data structure is in place, the contacts can be added from a CRM link and/or imported from Excel or your previous tool. With this framework, you are able to start communicating from the marketing automation. And we work to create the necessary assets for this, such as:
- Email templates
- Landing page templates
- Workflows / campaigns
What are the most common pitfalls
- No specific goals / vision
- Tool that does not match the capacities
- Too little content / resources to make them
Support & succes daily tailored support
By means of our success & support packages, we provide you with the certainty of fast support in case of questions and problems, even after implementation. But we also help you to continuously achieve your goals and get the maximum return from marketing automation.
What costs do you have to think about?
There are a number of different packages available for marketing automation. The cost of these packages almost always depends on the number of active contacts in your database. These are the contacts with whom you maintain contact via e-mail at least once a month. Working with a package such as Act-On, Hubspot, Marketo or Net-Results is possible from approx. €750 excluding VAT per month. Tools such as ActiveCampaign or Zoho are intended for smaller companies and are already available at a lower price. In addition to the monthly costs, you will of course have to take into account one-off implementation costs and support costs.
Know more? These companies preceded you in marketing automation
Marketing Guys has already supported more than 100 organisations with the choice, implementation and successful deployment of marketing automation. Examples of companies we support include Esri, Grant Thornton, Mikrocentrum, Stahl and NorthC Datacenters Group.
Please contact us to make an appointment: